[gdal-dev] Why can't find_package(GDAL CONFIG) find GDAL_LIBRARIES?

Tom O'Reilly oreilly at mbari.org
Tue Jun 7 09:52:04 PDT 2022

Thanks for this information Even - very useful and interesting.

I'm still a cmake newbie, and one cmake aspect that drives me nuts is its "inconsistency" when it comes to finding packages ("Should I call find_package(X) with MODULE or CONFIG?", "Is it X_INCLUDE_DIRS or X_INCLUDES?"). So my CMakeLists.txt tend to get complex pretty quickly.

The method you describe looks elegant and straightforward, and it works for GDAL. In general for package 'X', is the following *guaranteed* to produce a usable target of form "X::X" or exit if package X is not found?

# Find package X
find_package(X CONFIG REQUIRED)

add_executable(test_c test_c.c)
target_link_libraries(test_c PRIVATE X::X)

If I could rely on that form, my CMakeLists.txt files would be much simpler!

Thanks
Tom

Thomas C. O'Reilly
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, California 95039-9644
831-775-1766 (voice)
831-775-1620 (FAX)
oreilly at mbari.org (email)
http://www.mbari.org (World-wide Web)

"The machine does not isolate us from the great mysteries
of nature, but plunges us more deeply into them."

- ANTOINE DE SAINT-EXUPERY
"Wind, Sand, and Stars" (1939)