[gdal-dev] Proposed new driver to handle Basis Universal / KTX2 textures

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Jun 15 07:51:28 PDT 2022

Hi,

There's interest for adding a new read/write raster GDAL driver for the
Basis Universal and KTX2 (https://github.khronos.org/KTX-Specification/)
texture formats, used in 3D/BIM formats like I3S and glTF. That would
use the https://github.com/BinomialLLC/basis_universal software (Apache
2.0 licensed) to do the encoding/decoding.

I just wanted to know if people were comfortable to have this as a
in-tree (optional) GDAL driver. Texture support is not necessarily where
GDAL is most known but we do already have a few drivers specifically
handling that like the DDS/crunch one
(https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/dds.html) or the TARGA one
(https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/tga.html), not mentioning more generic
purposes formats like JPEG or PNG.