[gdal-dev] Proposed new driver to handle Basis Universal / KTX2 textures

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Jun 16 12:15:38 PDT 2022

Jean-Roc,

those formats have potential to be loaded on the GPU with very few
processing, as far as I understand their description. And the
BinomialLLC/basis_universal code is able to do that typically.

That said in a GDAL context, full decompression/compression will be done
as there's no direct interface between GDAL and the GPU. The use case
here is more to use GDAL's convenient generic raster capabilities to
read/write that format amongst other textures formats (which don't hold
georefencing by themselves, but may be associated to georeferenced
objects externally), regular non-georeferenced images ... and sometimes
geospatial raster formats.

Even