[gdal-dev] Fwd: Raster Data with vsicurl from http source

Clemens Rudert clemens at opengis.ch
Tue Jun 28 04:13:28 PDT 2022

Hi

I try to read raster data from an URL with QGIS. I see QGIS uses GDAL
vsicurl to connect to data. It works just fine. Only GDAL tries to fetch
a lot of meta files which can be disabled by setting the
GDAL_DISABLE_READDIR_ON_OPEN=EMPTY_DIR

Using this:

GDAL_DISABLE_READDIR_ON_OPEN=EMPTY_DIR gdalinfo /vsicurl/http://<url>/my.tif

It works as expected and does not query any additional files.

But starting QGIS with GDAL_DISABLE_READDIR_ON_OPEN=EMPTY_DIR does not
have the expected effect.

Now I wonder where this variable gets lost. It is available in the QGIS
settings dialog as ENV but seems not be reflected when GDAL is called.
I'm not that deep in the connections between GDAL and QGIS. I know this
is more an issue for QGIS then for GDAL  but I ask here anyway because
already talked to QGIS people who suggested to ask here :)

Thank you for your help.

Cheers Clemens

--
 <https://qfield.org/get/>

QFIELD 2.0 IS HERE! - Hold the power of QGIS in
your hand - learn more
<https://www.opengis.ch/2022/04/05/qfield-2-0-is-here/> - get it now
<https://qfield.org/get>