[gdal-dev] MBTiles blurry

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Jun 30 04:28:28 PDT 2022

You can perhaps try -r lanczos . It is good at preserving sharp details
(but can also create artifacts on other situations. there's nothing as a
universally good resampling method)

Ah, and one point I forgot is that when going to MBTiles, an implicit
reprojection to Web Mercator is also done by the MBTiles driver, which
involves another resampling

Try also adding -co RESAMPLING=LANCZOS in the gdal_translate stage.

If you don't need MBTiles format and WebMercator projection, I'd say
just stick with GeoTIFF, and possibly use the COG driver:
https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/cog.html