[gdal-dev] VRT dataset to text in-memory?

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 02:14:34 PST 2022

Hello, reading the raster VRT tutorial

https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/vrt.html#creation-of-vrt-datasets

with this code:

//
int   nBand;
GDALDriver *poDriver = (GDALDriver *) GDALGetDriverByName( "VRT" );
GDALDataset *poSrcDS, *poVRTDS;
poSrcDS = (GDALDataset *) GDALOpenShared( pszSourceFilename, GA_ReadOnly );
poVRTDS = poDriver->CreateCopy( "", poSrcDS, FALSE, NULL, NULL, NULL );
//

Is there a way to obtained the VRT XML text representing poVRTDS without
writing to an actual file?

Sorry if this is obvious, haven't been able to find an example that does
what I want. I've seen examples using GetMetadataItem from a band for parts
of the XML, but can't see how to get the entire thing.

Thanks for your help.

Best, Mike

--
Michael Sumner