[gdal-dev] Motion (V2): remove and deprecate a few drivers

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Mar 22 13:08:27 PDT 2022

Le 22/03/2022 à 20:23, Joaquim Manuel Freire Luís a écrit :
> Even,
>
> Please the vector GMT driver is not to be removed
It is not. The commit you refer to removes the GTM (GPS Track Maker) driver.

> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/5269/commits/f89bccc10e00ef57312165f5ee11f5ee1f1dddc3
>
> it's very much used in GMT. We talked about this before (sorry didn't keep references of it).
> What is to be deprecated is the old netCDF GMT grid format, but not the vector one
I'm in line with that.
> (whose implementation was paid for).
I assume most GDAL drivers, including those in that batch of removal,
have been paid for at some point. That's not a criterion by itself to
keep them 15 years after if no one is willing to keep up with their
overhead and can justify they are still relevant.