[gdal-dev] About bug fix / patch release policy for older GDAL versions (setuptools >= 58.0 and GDAL <3.3 compatibility issues)

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Fri Mar 25 04:29:02 PDT 2022

On 3/25/22 12:07, Even Rouault wrote:
> what you discuss here is all about the patch & backport policy of the
> Debian GDAL package. You can try to file a bug to Debian and point to
> the patch you'd want to see backported, but I can't promise if there
> would be interest in their maintenance team to create an updated package
> with it (my understanding is that even if we'd release a new 3.2.x patch
> release, it wouldn't be packaged in LTS distributions. I'm not sure how
> much of that is linked to Debian policy or availability of people that
> do the work)

Packages in Debian stable releases only get updates to fix bugs of
severity important or higher [0]. GDAL patch releases also contain
changes for lower severity issues, it's not worth the effort to vet all
those changes. Any changes to packages in stable also risk introducing
regressions which are highly undesirable in LTS releases known for their
stability.

People should be maintaining their own packaging repositories where they
host packages with changes for their needs that cannot be easily
upstreamed to the package in the distribution itself. Scratching your
own itch was a corner stone of Open Source that people are seemingly
forgetting or never having known about in the first place.

[0]
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.en.html#special-case-uploads-to-the-stable-and-oldstable-distributions

Kind Regards,

Bas