[gdal-dev] Create COG jpeg tiles with JFIF APPn markers

Jose Calvo jose.calvo at vexcelgroup.com
Mon Mar 28 23:59:22 PDT 2022

Hi.

Currently my c++ app creates COG files from GeoTiff tiled files.

GeoTiff files are created using JPEG compression with YCBCR photometric using following creation options:

  *   PROFILE=GeoTIFF
  *   TILED=YES
  *   BLOCKXSIZE=xxx
  *   BLOCKYSIZE=xxx
  *   COMPRESS=JPEG
  *   PHOTOMETRIC=YCBCR
  *   JPEG_QUALITY=xx
  *   JPEGTABLESMODE=0

>From this Geotiff files, app creates COG tiled files using following options:

  *   BLOCKSIZE=xxx
  *   OVERVIEWS=FORCE_USE_EXISTING
  *   COMPRESS=JPEG
  *   QUALITY=xx

Those tiles contain normal JPEG markers (SOI, SOF0, DQT) but no JFIF marker (APPn) is added. How can I ensure adding this JFIF marker?

I'm using gdal 3.1.0.7 in a ubuntu 20.10 using both strategies:

  *   internal jpeg and tiff code: --with-jpeg=internal --with-libtiff=internal
  *   external jpeg and tiff libraries: libjpeg.so.8.2.2 libtiff.so.5.5.0

Thanks in advance.