[gdal-dev] The Not Rocket Science Rule Of Software Engineering

Andrew C Aitchison andrew at aitchison.me.uk
Tue Mar 29 05:45:30 PDT 2022

I have been reading The Not Rocket Science Rule Of Software Engineering
https://graydon2.dreamwidth.org/1597.html
which is:
        automatically maintain a repository of code
        that always passes all the tests

Does https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal have a branch with this property ?

If we do not yet, it should in principal be easy:
whenever HEAD of master passes all test, pull that to a current-working branch
(in practice we have 16 top-level tests, so would need a wrapper which says
whether they all passed or not).

A comment on the above blog post is:
   Aegis has a delightful wrinkle on this: each changeset has to not just
   pass all existing tests, but also come with a new test, independently
   tracked and associated with the change, that must fail before the
   change, and pass after it.

That would be a useful addition too.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison					Kendal, UK