[gdal-dev] Building with cmake

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed May 11 06:37:05 PDT 2022

Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> writes:

> The problem is that there are no instructions for building with cmake,
> and something that normally works with cmake does not.  By 'there are no
> instructions', I mean that I looked at README.md (which is hard to read
> in text because of all the CI stuff), and looked for INSTALL* and
> BUILDING*, and grepped for cmake.

I see now that the cmake build_hints web page is referenced from NEWS.
I have the old-school view that some combination of
README/BUILDING/INSTALL should describe the build, and that people
wanting to build from source is normal.  (NEWS is about changes from
previous versions, rather than describing the current state, so it never
occured to me to look for build instruction pointers there.  I
acknowledge that others may find this view odd :-).)

I certainly don't want to torque things around in terms of moving the
web page into the sources, so I just submitted a PR to add a very short
BUILDING.md which should get anyone else starting from the sources
pointed in the right direction.