[gdal-dev] GDAL 3.6.0 is released

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Nov 11 03:04:20 PST 2022

Hi,

On behalf of the GDAL/OGR development team and community, I am pleased to
announce the release of GDAL/OGR 3.6.0. GDAL/OGR is a C++ geospatial data
access library for raster and vector file formats, databases and web
services.
It includes bindings for several languages, and a variety of command line
tools.

    http://gdal.org/

The 3.6.0 release is a new feature release with the following highlights:

* CMake is the only build system available in-tree. autoconf and nmake
build systems have been removed
* [OpenFileGDB](https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/openfilegdb.html): write
and update support (v10.x format only), without requiring any external
dependency, with same (and actually larger) functional scope as write
side of the FileGDB driver
* [RFC
86](https://gdal.org/development/rfc/rfc86_column_oriented_api.html):
Column-oriented read API for vector layers.
   Implemented in core, Arrow, Parquet, GPKG and FlatGeoBuf drivers
* Add read/write raster [JPEGXL
driver](https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/jpegxl.html) for standalone
JPEG-XL files. Requires libjxl
* Add [KTX2](https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/ktx2.html) and
[BASISU](https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/basisu.html) read/write raster
drivers for texture formats. Require [(forked)
basisu](https://github.com/rouault/basis_universal/tree/cmake) library
* Vector layer API: table relationship discovery & creation, Upsert()
operation
* GeoTIFF: add multi-threaded read capabilities (reqiures NUM_THREADS
open option or GDAL_NUM_THREADS configuration option to be set)
* Multiple performance improvements in GPKG driver
* ogr_layer_algebra.py: promoted to official script (#1581)
* Code linting and security fixes
* Bump of shared lib major version
* Full release notes at https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/v3.6.0/NEWS.md

More complete information on the new features and fixes in the 3.6.0
release can be found at:

   https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/v3.6.0/NEWS.md

The release can be downloaded from:
   * https://download.osgeo.org/gdal/3.6.0/gdal360.zip - source as a zip