[gdal-dev] Call for discussion: RFC88: Use GoogleTest framework for C/C++ unit tests

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Nov 17 09:02:36 PST 2022

On Wed, 16 Nov 2022 at 19:42, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:

> Text at https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/6720
>
> The document proposes and describes conversion of the existing C/C++
> autotest suite to use the `GoogleTest
> framework <https://github.com/google/googletest>`__.
>
> GoogleTest is a popular and maintained framework for C/C++ test
> writing, that is a better replacement for the `TUT framework
> <https://github.com/mrzechonek/tut-framework>`__ that we use currently.

+1 Mateusz

It was me who 'polluted' GDAL with TUT and here it is why I did it:
It was a very long time ago to support porting GDAL (and GEOS too)
to Windows CE platform which was very limited in terms of C and C++
support. And. we also had to develop some C library routines
https://wcelibcex.sourceforge.net/
And, Python for Windows CE was very limited.
And, it was much easier to debug C/C++ than Python,
So, I decided to start C/C++ counterpart of the autotest suite.
At that time, TUT was small, portable, feature-complete
framework that we incorporated by copying its single header.

Since the C++ autotest is still alive, switching to a modern test
framework is much desired and Google Test is sensible choice.
I see no reason to stay with TUT, which is rather a niche
library nowadays.