[gdal-dev] CloudSQLite - useless invention or not?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Apr 11 13:59:33 PDT 2023

Hi Jukka,

Thanks for sharing. This seems to be quite a recent addition (end of
2019 for the start of the public activity), so probably somewhat a bit
experimental, at least probably not as mature as core SQLite (also
reading this comment from a likely early user of the project which
questions some essential design aspects:
https://sqlite.org/cloudsqlite/forumpost/3856ce738d). It is somewhat an
hybrid solution between the SQLite we know (mostly for local usage) and
a traditional server-based SQL database, but actually closer to the
former than the later. It doesn't fully cover multi-user / concurrent
scenarios, compared to to a traditional server-based SQL database, so
I'm a bit skeptical one would want to use that for "enterprise" needs.
For read-only scenarios, I'm not sure how better if would compare to
accessing a regular SQLite3 database through /vsicurl/ , /vsis3/ etc.
Probably not that much (the local deamon  that maintain a cached version
of downloaded blocks might help in some scenarios though), but of course
that would need to be tested. The "cloud" term somewhat brings the usual
expectations of "magic" happening on a server (or many!), but
CloudSQlite is really just about remote storage of the database, so all
requests are still processed on the client. If you run a request without
indices, you might end up downloading the whole database. Or a statement
like "UPDATE table SET some_column = some_value" will definitely require
downloading & re-uploading the whole table.

So I wouldn't say this is useless, as if it was designed, it is
hopefully to serve some particular use cases, but I suspect they are
quite niche and that existing well-known server-based database solutions
are probably a better choice in the general case.

Even