[gdal-dev] +proj=wintri +over option works weel in gdalwarp but not in ogr2ogr

Joaquim Manuel Freire Luís jluis at ualg.pt
Sat Apr 29 18:11:01 PDT 2023

Even, this is a kind of continuation of the subject that I brought up in https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/7644

The file size limitation of attachments doesn't help to make this case easily reproducible, but the story is, I can make that rectangular map using gdalwarp and ogr2ogr that use the +over option and +proj=vandg
(see https://forum.generic-mapping-tools.org/t/best-projection-for-rectangular-world-map/3715/82?u=joaquim)

But when I try the same with +proj=wintry the gdalwarp op works well but the ogr2ogr doesn't.
(see https://forum.generic-mapping-tools.org/t/best-projection-for-rectangular-world-map/3715/85?u=joaquim)

You can more less reproduce this case using this file
http://fct-gmt.ualg.pt/tmp/cl540.gpkg

ogr2ogr  -t_srs "+proj=wintri +over" cl540_wintri.gpkg cl540.gpkg

Why would that be in this case?

Joaquim