[gdal-dev] gdalwarp vs gdal_translate for scaling

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 15:36:11 PST 2023

in short, warp will give you exactly the target extent of a (possibly) new
grid specification in that -te subdivided by the -ts.

translate will give you approximately the extent provided to projwin, but
snapped to the source grid alignment at a particular zoom implied by the
projwin subdivided by the outsize.

Further, translate can do scaling but warp cannot, which I guess is why you
have a vrt in the workflow - you can scale a source virtually with
translate to vrt, then warp (or translate) that.

(Finally it's a bit sloppy to have such arbitrary extent values that warp
will preserve and I routinely snap them to the source alignment, and I'm
interested to provide such a feature in the warper options too.)

Hope that helps!