[gdal-dev] feet converting to meters unexpectedly

Kirk Waters - NOAA Federal kirk.waters at noaa.gov
Mon Jan 9 10:48:32 PST 2023

I think I've gotten this solved for my purposes now, but I'm reporting it
here in case anyone else might run across issues using gdal in a conda
environment. If I make a conda environment containing:
python
pdal=2.4.2
gdal
(which ends up with gdal version 3.5.1, pdal version 2.4.2), I get a weird
behavior where
gdalwarp input.tif output.tif
will change the values in the raster as if it is converting from feet to
meters. My example raster where I see this has georeferencing of
EPSG:3521+6360 and is a 32-bit floating point DEM. My use case would have
more arguments to gdalwarp, but I simplified to the minimum that showed the
problem.

If I change the environment package list for conda to not specify the pdal
version, I'll get pdal version 2.4.3 and gdal version 3.6.2 and the raster
will convert correctly.

I did note that in a setup where it converts the values, I see this warning:
Warning 1: Unknown units=US survey foot

Kirk Waters, PhD
NOAA Office for Coastal Management
Applied Sciences Program