[gdal-dev] Motion: Approve RFC90: Direct access to compressed raster data

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 12:17:34 PST 2023

I'm +1. Norman Barker wrote something like this when we worked together, so
I get the point of it clearly.

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6838#page-13 has some things to say about
the parameters returned by GetCompressionFormat after, e.g., "image/jpeg".

* Parameters are case insensitive
* Order has no meaning
* More than one instance of a parameter is an error

It's possible that some image media types are defined so that no such
parameters are allowed. I don't see that this is the case for image/jpeg,
so we're probably fine.

If we don't want to think about official media types at all, which might be
a good idea, couldn't we use driver names instead? "JPEG; foo=bar" instead
of "image/jpeg; foo=bar" for example.

On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 10:03 AM Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Motion: Approve RFC90: Direct access to compressed raster data:
>
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/7020
>
> Starting with my +1
>
> Even
>
> --