[gdal-dev] Creation of a new driver from scratch

Abel Pau a.pau at creaf.uab.cat
Fri Jun 2 08:08:26 PDT 2023

Dear GDAL Team,
I am writing to you to introduce myself and ask you some questions, if I am allowed to.

We are a team of developers working on MiraMon GIS, and I, Abel Pau, am representing our group. We are interested in contributing to the GDAL community by generating GDAL drivers for our vector and raster formats.

MiraMon is a widely-used Geographic Information System (GIS) that offers a variety of functionalities for spatial data analysis and visualization across various sectors. Our short-time next goal is to enhance the accessibility and interoperability of MiraMon by integrating it with GDAL, which we believe will greatly benefit the GIS community.

You can find the specifications of our vector and raster formats on our website www.miramon.cat in the "Support/Technical notes" section under the titles "Format specification of the MiraMon vector files" and "Format specification of the MiraMon raster files".

I’ve been like 15 years programming this software in C (not C++) in our own style. So I have to get used to program in your style and in C++. It’ll not be easy for me but I hope you can help me if wome doubts arises.

I kindly request your collaboration in providing me with a clear roadmap of the steps we should follow to generate the GDAL drivers. While we are thoroughly reviewing the existing documentation, we want to ensure that we do not overlook any crucial aspects. Your guidance and expertise during this process would be greatly appreciated.

I hope you can answer some questions I have. Thanks in advance.

·         Do I need to ask for permission before starting a new driver, or is it assumed to be welcome?

·         I have downloaded the code from GitHub, but I'm not sure if it will provide me with a Visual Studio project. Will it generate an sln file?

·         Once I have a Visual Studio solution (sln) to inspire myself, how should I proceed to create the driver? Is there any pre-existing pattern or template to follow? I would like to be able to debug it. How will I know when I am ready to submit the driver?

We would like to express our sincere gratitude for the outstanding work you do with GDAL and for granting us the opportunity to contribute to this project. We are excited to begin collaborating with you and are confident that our joint efforts will have a positive impact on the GIS community.Thank you sincerely for your time and attention. We eagerly await your guidance and look forward to fruitful collaboration.
Best regards,

Abel Pau Garcia

Tècnic en SIG

a.pau at creaf.uab.cat<mailto:a.pau at creaf.uab.cat>

Tel. +34 935814277

[cid:image001.png at 01D99574.DA15FF80][cid:image001.png at 01D99574.DA15FF80][cid:image001.png at 01D99574.DA15FF80][cid:image001.png at 01D99574.DA15FF80][cid:image001.png at 01D99574.DA15FF80]

www.creaf.cat<http://www.creaf.cat> | http://blog.creaf.cat

CREAF. Campus UAB. Edifici C. 08193 Bellaterra (Barcelona)