[gdal-dev] Want to work with MDArrays

Barry DeZonia bdezonia at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 09:25:09 PDT 2023

Hello,

I am a software developer that has written a numerical analysis software
package that has support for n-dimensional data (
https://github.com/bdezonia/zorbage). I sometimes write importer libraries
to pull data into my data structures for further processing. It is
primarily a package for scientists.

Anyhow in the past I wrote a library that will import data from GDAL (
https://github.com/bdezonia/zorbage-gdal). It is using gdal.Open(filename)
to load data as a Dataset but I think the approach taken is limited to 3-d
data. Plus testing has shown that sometimes (like with a tif stack) images
come in as many separate planes of data.

I see that you have MDArrays in your libraries. And that they are
associated with a Group. Do you have something like gdal.Open() that opens
data file(s) as a Group? That way I could then open one or more MDArrays
into my n-dimensional structures from the Group in a more direct fashion
than the Dataset way. Can you advise me on how to proceed? Thanks.