[gdal-dev] question about python installation

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Mar 8 05:22:01 PST 2023

Michael Sumner <mdsumner at gmail.com> writes:

> I've been trying with PYTHONPATH and sys.path, and I think I was doing it
> wrong ...   but the simplicity of the /usr prefix had not occurred to me,
> I'll be doing that.
>
> If I come back around with further insights I'll share them, but this is
> working for me now.
>
> cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr

Basically:

  if you want to install gdal python, you should be building gdal to a
  prefix that already has a python build

  if your packaging system controls /usr, then you are off the rails if
  you write to /usr otherwise.   But it could be the least bad option,
  as building everything in a new prefix is hard.