[gdal-dev] How to control which projection database to use

Javier Jimenez Shaw j1 at jimenezshaw.com
Sat Mar 11 03:01:58 PST 2023

Hi Kurt.

GDAL >=3 uses PROJ to deal with CRSs. And PROJ has embedded the EPSG
database in its proj.db, that is packaged directly with PROJ.
So I guess that you cannot select the version of EPSG easily.

Fortunately PROJ is updating the version of EPSG quite often, so using the
latest version of PROJ will include a recent version of EPSG. Maybe not
always the last, but near. For instance, PROJ 9.2.0, recentely released,
includes EPSG 10.082
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/blob/9.2.0/data/sql/metadata.sql

Using master today would include 10.084

If you just want to be consistent, it is easy to produce all the WKTs from
PROJ using pyproj (or even bash and projinfo). You can have a look at the
project https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ-CRS-Explorer/

Cheers,
Javier.