[gdal-dev] recent change?, issue with OGRGeometryFactory in R

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 22:24:21 PDT 2023

Hi,

I'm here to ask for help finding where this issue is. If I use an earlier
build it still works (these are R packages sf and terra that are well
tested against previous releases).

Has something changed with the headers structure for OGRGeometryFactory
perhaps? (I'm out of my depth for how to track this down).   If it's an
issue on the R side I'll fix it there, but mostly I'm here to ask what has
changed on the GDAL side to result in this symbol problem (or whatever it
is I'm doing wrong).

using latest build  24afc75d3c3f2c85621e8b8d83f54a73b1d3ad33

I see

> library(sf)
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘sf’ in dyn.load(file, DLLpath
= DLLpath, ...):
 unable to load shared object '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/sf/libs/sf.so':
  /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/sf/libs/sf.so: undefined symbol:
_ZN18OGRGeometryFactory13createFromWktEPKcP19OGRSpatialReferencePP11OGRGeometry
> library(terra)
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘terra’ in dyn.load(file,
DLLpath = DLLpath, ...):
 unable to load shared object
'/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/terra/libs/terra.so':
  /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/terra/libs/terra.so: undefined symbol:
_ZN18OGRGeometryFactory13createFromWktEPKcP19OGRSpatialReferencePP11OGRGeometry

Using a prior build eca6f7bf17fe500ef4c0ba9793e93ea305bab1fc it works.

The offending code in terra is this (I think)

https://github.com/rspatial/terra/blob/ddcf84ce901a269ac13118d650efac16f89a8602/src/read_ogr.cpp#L694

In sf it is

https://github.com/r-spatial/sf/blob/main/src/gdal_read.cpp#L582
Thank you.