[gdal-dev] Detecting SPARSE rasters

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Jun 28 10:01:06 PDT 2024

Jon,

Recommended solution: use GDALRasterBand::GetDataCoverageStatus() with
nXOff, nYOff, nXSize, nYSize matching tile offset and size and check
forGDAL_DATA_COVERAGE_STATUS_EMPTY. Cf
https://gdal.org/development/rfc/rfc63_sparse_datasets_improvements.html

(undocumented solution, mostly used for internal testing:
rasterBand->GetMetadataItem("BLOCK_SIZE_{block_x_offset}_{block_y_offset}",
"TIFF") where {block_x_offset} / {block_y_offset} must be replaced by
the block index along x and y.If it returns "0", it is a sparse block.)

Even