[gdal-dev] Proposed RFC 8 amendment regarding (prohibited use of) generative AI tools

Laurențiu Nicola lnicola at dend.ro
Tue Oct 8 00:41:55 PDT 2024

Hi,

> At the moment I am using copilot as a cut-and-paste on steroids and it
> has improved my efficiency, to me it is no different than copying and
> pasting from another file in the GDAL source code or going to SO to
> search how to write a complex recursive lambda implementation in C++11,
> cut the example and paste in GDAL. Note that in both cases the
> copied/pasted or generated code will need careful review and adaptations.

I think it's worth mentioning that code taken from SO is licensed under CC-BY-SA, so it needs at least proper attribution. Looking at the GDAL codebase, I counted about 21 stackoverflow.com URLs, the vast majority of those added by Even, according to git blame. So either Even is almost the only GDAL contributor that uses Stack Overflow, or this might already be a problem.

Not to mention that a link in the source code might not be sufficient for attribution, especially if you're shipping binaries etc.

Laurentiu