[gdal-dev] GDAL Windows Wheels

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Oct 14 07:27:40 PDT 2024

Le 13/10/2024 à 20:28, Petr Tsymbarovich via gdal-dev a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have added pipelines for building wheels for manylinux and
> musllinux, and renamed the repository to
> https://gitlab.com/mentaljam/gdal-wheels (not only Windows). You are
> welcome to test it!
Petr,

Did you try using both GDAL Python bindings and rasterio/fiona binary
wheels within the same Python process on Linux? I would expect that to
crash badly, possibly depending on the order you import them. Probably
that some big warning in your repository would be needed to discourage
users from doing that.

As you use vcpkg, perhaps using static builds could help, but I'm
thinking that we are probably out of luck on the GDAL Python side, as we
have several python modules (osgeo.gdal, osgeo.org), so that would cause
each of them to statically link against libgdal, which wouldn't be a
good idea, since they wouldn't share the same global state... I guess
that for static linking to work, we'd need a single Python module, but
that would be too involved. So probably the most sane solution would be
to have a dynamic library libgdal.so that statically links its
dependencies, but with all GDAL public symbols renamed. Quite an
adventure...

Even

Mostly a fool, sometimes acting like a professional (or vice versa)