Project request

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Mon Apr 10 07:23:03 EDT 2006

Hi,
we (Arnulf) have been asked whether we (OSGeo) could provide an SVN
branch for a joint project that we (companies CCGIS & www.krz.de, the
county of OBK, ++individuals) implemented to convert the German
cadastral base map exchange format EDBS to OGC WKT for storage in
PostGIS, rendering in MapServer, access with GeoServer and display with
Mapbender.

http://www.mapbender.org/index.php/ALK_mit_Freier_Software
http://sourceforge.net/projects/edbs2wkt
http://www.mapbender.org/index.php/EDBS
http://www.mapbender.org/index.php/FreeZVAut
etc.

This project comes together with four UMN MapServer MAP files 2 symbol
files, 8 ttf files with 250 symbols. You need all of this to render the
maps conforming to German jurisdiction. Conformancy is required because
the output generated by the system is used for building application
requests. And yes, every federal state in Germany has its own
interpretation... To manage and develop all of this collaboratively SVN
access has been requested.

Now - where to put this?

There is definitely an Open Source software project (GPL) involved but
it is of type benevolent dictator. Because this project addresses only a
tiny subset of the worlds population (Germans with an affinity to survey
data) this is fine with me but it does not justify to create a separate
OSGeo subdomain. On the other hand it is an exemplary example of
combining Public Geodata with Open Source Software to give people at
large better access to spatial data.

It could be branched in Mapbender SVN but that does not make sense, same
is true for MapServer. Maybe this would best fit into the Public Geodata
SVN? Ideas, comments?

Arnulf.