[OSGeodata] Wikipedia article concerning intellectual property and geodata?

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Wed Apr 19 13:59:08 EDT 2006

dear Markus,
On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 12:03:40PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
>  "Rechte an Geoinformationen"
>  http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechte_an_Geoinformationen
> which also refers to INSPIRE, the petition etc. It is focuses on
> the situation in Germany.

This translates to "Rights to Geographic Information", or maybe just
"Rights to Geographic Data"? Or as a non-German speaker am I
overparsing it? It looks like a useful pile of research.

> I would like to encourage (maybe a nice OSGeo task?) a similar
> article in the English Wikipedia concerning intellectual property and geodata.
> There should be enough knowledge accumulated among us...

+1 on this! There is this older page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_data

This does reflect part of the problem in the en. version; that
different English speaking countries have very different policies, so
this would need to cover UK, US, Canada, Australia. Though this
needn't be a problem, it would be a good way to offer comparative
stories about different kinds of access to data policies.

There's also this, which was made when Benjamin and I started the
INSPIRE petition and one of the Wikipedians got in touch:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/INSPIRE

On more of a tangent, re practical wikipedia / geodata experiments
being done in the German language space there...
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:GEO
http://www.webkuehn.de/hobbys/wikipedia/geokoordinaten/index_en.htm

thanks,

jo