[OSGeodata] geodata stylesheets

Allan Doyle adoyle at eogeo.org
Thu Aug 3 11:20:59 EDT 2006

I agree this is a great idea. I've often wondered about doing
something similar, basically just using stylesheets to create HTML
renditions of capabilities documents with some bits that make them
show up in google searches in a useful way.

On Aug 3, 2006, at 11:04, Norman Barker wrote:

> Thanks for the list, and the version numbers, if I get the WCS
> retrieval
> fully working this way then the others will be very similar.
>

> The Sensor Observation Service would be interesting in terms of
> generating GeoRSS, and there are a couple flying around at the moment
> (MapServer has support).
>
> I have concerns about how much useful metadata you can retrieve from a
> getcapabilities call, the time period is important, and also since
> most
> getcapabilites are dynamic should you just fetch every time - or say
> file size (as determined by an http head request) is an indicator of
> whether to fetch?

I would say try going with file size as a trigger. Maybe this whole
thing will stir up a little interest in decent caching parameters.

Maybe once you've got something going, a message to wms-dev would be
in order.

A second-order issue might be figuring out how to deal with cascading
WMS's. There are some that simply cascade, others that cascade and
add value (e.g. offering projections not available in the primary WMS).

	Allan

--
Allan Doyle
+1.781.433.2695