Catchup IRC chat this Thursday, 1600GMT

J. Random Walsh metazool at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 13:18:01 EST 2006

dear all,

It's time for another geodata IRC meeting, isn't it? This Thursday,
15th, 1600GMT seems like as good as time as any, otherwise there won't
be another catchup until the New Year, yet there are all those
Christmas holiday spare cycles coming up... ;)

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Geodata_Committee_Tenth_Meeting  -
please feel very welcome to edit - what's on my mind right now is
this, and all deserves to be documented on the wiki too:

    *  Update on GeoNetwork installation at telascience, what are next steps
          * does everyone who wants access know where to look
    * Update on geometadata generation utilities
    * How to express "accuracy" and "quality" of geodata in a
repository? Prior art required
    * Next steps for formalising dclite4g schema ... and getting off
the ground with catalog syndication / usage-based catalog feedback...

I had a really interesting time this last couple of days in Bucharest;
I'll upload the slides from the talk I gave when I get back. It was
remarkable and great to be giving the equivalent of a "vendor
presentation" about open source geospatial alongside representatives
of ESRI, Intergraph, Oracle, and of course Autodesk. I enjoyed the
crowd reaction to the material, about half were grinning with approval
and the other half shaking their heads and looking slightly nervous.

Thanks awfully FrankW and Stefan for feedback on the notes. I was
careful not to "guarantee" anything. ;P I did, however innocently
claim that the GeoNetwork current release supports CSW, but IONIC's
bizdev chap said to me afterwards that it's not there yet. Clearly I
don't know my GeoRSS from my ebRIM (can i patent this joke?) I look
forward to the 2.1 release to save my, er, okay I ran out of puns, it
has been a long couple of days.

cheers,

jo