[OSGeodata] FOIA and VMAP1 anyone?

Allan Doyle adoyle at eogeo.org
Fri Jul 7 15:35:30 EDT 2006

I seem to recall that there's something "different" about vmap1. This
article alludes to it
http://www.profsurv.com/archive.php?issue=78&article=1094

"One of the exemptions removes documents from FOIA coverage that fall
under other legislation. Landsat data falls into that category and
was thus sold at far higher rates than FOIA would allow. NIMA's
release of the high resolution VMAP-1 world data set (the replacement
for VMAP-0, an enhanced version of the Digital Chart of the World) is
thwarted by an exemption. VMAP-0 was made public, but NIMA argued
that VMAP-1 included material from other governments, which the
agency argued took it out of FOIA's reach via a different exemption."

I think it's quite likely that it could be hung up on intergovernment
agreements and thus could be a harder nut to crack than we would like.

Not that we should not try, but I think the risk of not getting legal
fees back are higher than normal FOIA attempts might lead you to
believe.

	Allan

--
Allan Doyle