[OSGeodata] FOIA and VMAP1 anyone?

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Fri Jul 7 17:16:40 EDT 2006

Ned Horning wrote:
> Chris,
>
> I spent about 2 years using FOIA requests to get some VMAP 1 data but in the
> end was unsuccessful. A bunch of the VMAP data can be purchased through USGS
> but some of the datasets are still being created and others cannot be
> distributed due to international agreements.
>
> In my case I was trying to get data covering Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos and
> even though there are no restrictions for these countries I couldn't get the
> data because they resided on CDs that contained restricted data. They
> claimed that the amount of work required to extract these data from the CD
> was too great to qualify for a FOIA request. After hitting dead ends with
> the letters I contacted my congressman as well as colleagues as USGS and
> NASA but didn't make much in the way of progress. I did have the option to
> petition my rejection but declined due to the expense and the Museum wasn't
> thrilled about me harassing the government.
Interesting.  Do you have a list of what countries don't have
'restrictions'?  I'll forward this information on to my friend, see what
he thinks.  But basically he's kind of in to harassing the government
for things like this.  And I don't think he'd consider the fact that it
resides on a CD that has restricted data a good enough argument, and
would be willing to try to prove it in a court of law.

> If you're interested I'm happy to share the somewhat outdated material that
> I have (letters, contacts, CD index map, VMAP 1 CD availability).
That'd be great.

best regards,

Chris

--