[OSGeodata] FOIA and VMAP1 anyone?

Ned Horning nedh at lightlink.com
Sat Jul 8 14:13:41 EDT 2006

All,

Here is an interesting editorial on the FOIA:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/02/AR2006070200
674.html.

The approach I was shooting for, before running out of steam, was to focus
on extracting those data with no distribution restrictions except for the
fact that they are on CDs that have restricted data. This seems like a
reasonable request to me. Going after the restricted data will be tough.

I do think chasing these data is a good idea, especially if we have some
lawyers willing to help.

The Free World Maps Foundation, as far as I can tell, was set up by Dimitry
Rotow (from Manifold) but it never really amounted to much. I corresponded a
good deal with Dimity during my quest to benefit form his experience but his
approach was very aggressive/confrontational.

My two (outdated?) primary contacts were:
Donald H. Showalter (Responsible for distributing VMAP1 status information)
US Geological Survey
Branch of Information Services
Box 25286 MS 206
Denver, CO 80225

303-202-4659 (Voicemail)
303-202-4695 (Fax)

Paul Polk (He would be a good first person to talk to for a meeting)
NIMA Public Affairs Office
Public Release Officer
Tel 301-227-3096
Fax 301-227-3920

Both of these people were very helpful and courteous.

How do you suggest we continue with this? Should I post the resources I have
to my ftp site, post it on the wiki somewhere, or forward it to an
individual? I have a few VMAP1 CDs if someone wants to play around with
these data.

Ned