[OSGeodata] Re: WFS-basic

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Wed Nov 1 19:04:23 EST 2006

dear Raj, thanks for this and for all the effort you are making to
humanise the WFS specification,
On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 03:05:31AM -0500, Raj Singh wrote:
> http://www.ogcnetwork.net/wfsbasic has a ton of updated content this
> I hope this group can join in the discussion.

I have subbed at
https://mail.opengeospatial.org/mailman/listinfo/wfsbasic.users only
wringing my hands a bit at being on yet another mailing list ;)
and look forward to some educational lurking.

> - Jo: your--among many others--voice was heard and GML/XML Schema
> won't be the mandatory data description language for WFS Basic.

I am glad to hear this! I hope to learn more about what interaction /
reuse DescribeFeatureType is typically intended to facilitate. I would be
into making some RDF descriptions to show here. I don't know how or if
OWSCat is responding to this kind of request - as i understand it it
uses WFS as a carrier for metadata about WMS resources typically?

> - Tom (Kralidis): Yes, I've recently learned that 'Basic WFS' is a
> term used in the WFS spec meaning a read-only WFS. My WFS Basic name
> will probably change soon.

I wondered about versioning as well as transactions. This has always
been OpenStreetMap's big reason not to use WFS. I suppose versioning
really is much more about what you do in the store than how you
present the results. You'd want at least to be able to say "roll this
feature back to how it appeared at time T".

cheers,

jo