[OSGeodata] Fwd: GEOSS Clearinghouse - Request for infromation -

Allan Doyle adoyle at eogeo.org
Sat Nov 18 14:34:08 EST 2006

Well, you seem to have caught me out. I forwarded it on without
explanation because I didn't have time to think through my thoughts
about the documents and I was kind of hoping someone else would come
along and say "What? Are they nuts?!" or something equally soothing.

 From my quick, 30 second read of the RFI, it seems to me to be
asking for a response that looks a lot like the current state of play
at the OGC. (including things like WSDL, UDDI, etc). I'm not sure I
buy into that as a satisfying vision of what a global clearinghouse
could be. Particularly having just read some excellent articles on
REST vs. WSDL. [1][2][3]

Having participated in a small way with the thinking that has been
done on this and other lists by you, Stefan, and others, it seems to
me that this group probably has a lot to offer to the GEOSS group.

I don't think respondents to the RFI have to be part of GEO. There
certainly are plenty of avenues back into GEO if we need them.

	Allan

[1] http://duncan-cragg.org/blog/post/getting-data-rest-dialogues/
[2] http://wanderingbarque.com/nonintersecting/2006/11/15/the-s-
stands-for-simple/