[OSGeodata] Posal codes of Germany

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Wed Nov 22 12:32:26 EST 2006

Arnulf Christl wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to host 8270 postal code polygons of Germany in OSGeo's
> geodata repository. Ideally as downloadable PostGIS SQL Dump and shape
> file as well as WMS and WFS services. At a later stage (when I finally
> got around to finishing off implementing an automated history) also as
> WFS-T with a Mapbender digitizing front end for people to maintain the
> polygons Wiki style.
We're starting work on doing history in WFS.  See:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOS/Versioning+WFS

Have done a review on how others do versioning, and have an
implementation proposal sketched out (which I've yet to review).  Would
love to make postcode editing a target for this.

Also I'm dumping our tiger database on http://sigma.openplans.org to
telascience as well.  Want to eventually make it a download from there,
though perhaps we should consider torrents or something for large
downloads?  This is probably about 4 gigs of data.  I can put your
postcode data up on a GeoServer there, and we can use openlayers and do
some pre-caching with their TileCache stuff.

> The data is currently dual licensed as GNU FDL and PGL in the hope that
> one of the two will eventually win out or be replaced by yet another
> document license.
I'm actually partial to Creative Commons licenses.  Shoot, I never did
my report on the Science Commons conference.  Basically they believe
that CC licenses can be used for data.  I'd prefer that route because
the option to release things with attribution.  And some may want to go
with 'non-commercial'.  Basically it allows more options.

They were going to write up a FAQ, and we could get some specific
mapping questions in there, and hopefully point people at that.

best regards,

Chris

I am the sole copyright holder and can branch and

--
Chris Holmes
The Open Planning Project