[OSGeodata] Posal codes of Germany

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Thu Nov 30 14:39:19 EST 2006

Martin Spott wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Chris Holmes wrote:
>
>> I can finish it up relatively soon, but this week is pretty busy.
>
>> You're also welcome to just use my wms directly.
> [...]
>> But yeah, I'll try to get the dumps up on flightgear, and you could
>> hopefully do the loading into postgis?
>
> I don't want to get you into hurry, so feel free to proceed creating
> the dumps whenever you like. I'll be able to fetch them from 'geodata'.
>
> 'flightgear' actually is an alias for 'zuluviz.sdsu.edu' where John
> Graham arranged an empty database and a Mapserver at my disposal.
> My primary goal which induced me to create the collection in this
> database is to form a single, global set of "landcover" layers as a
> foundation for the scenery of the Flightgear flight simulator, but
> certainly the contents of the DB is free for other use as well.
>
> Currently the FlightGear scenery is made only from VMap0, but the plan
> is to replace the data with VMap1 at the places where it is available.
> Last but not least, I want to merge the available line data from TIGER
> within the boundaries of the US. So I'm curious to know how other
> people's conversion of TIGER data looks like and if it matches what I
> might call my "needs"  ;-)

Oh, that's great.  John's already got me on zuluviz.sdsu.edu where I was
going to stand up a GeoServer with TileCache, OpenLayers and PostGIS,
and peer it with GeoServer's on a couple of boxes I have (either with
crschmidt's and Schuylers coming distribute tile cache, or in a more
adhoc method by just using cr5's quick hack to have openlayers hit more
than one server name).  So you can use my styles served from GeoServer,
or make your own for MapServer.

Having vmap1 would be great, I've got vmap0 in my dataset, and would
love to point people at one that vmap1 where available.

I'm not sure how to dump to 'geodata', I made a directory on zuluviz
where I started dumping (but can't get on right now to point you exactly
where it is).

best regards,

Chris

--