Help think about Raster support in FOSS spatial databases?

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Wed Sep 6 10:34:03 EDT 2006

dear all,

Recently Norm pointed at this thread from the postgis list as 'of interest':
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2006-August/012929.html
about future raster support plans in PostGIS (Paul's answer - help fund
development and provide use cases and it will happen - sounds good).

Part of what's needed here is use cases for raster storage and query;
what do people actually want and need? So i'm wondering if the group
here can help. For me, this connects to the conversations I had
around and after OSCON about raising the bar on spatial support across
open source databases, and this wiki page that cholmes braindumped into:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Supporting_Spatial_Databases

Anyone interested in filling this out some or forwarding it to someone
who might be; that would be terrific; this seems to me like a good
vector for connecting OSGeo more to other open source communities.

cheers,

jo