[OSGeodata] UNOSAT - Satellite Imagery for All

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Sep 27 09:30:22 EDT 2006

Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
> Hi Markus and Mateusz,
> I have contacted my colleagues in UNOSAT to check what their policies
> are and received a prompt reply on this today:

Jeroen,

Fantastic! Thank you very much it.
Yesterday, after Markus asked about it, I posted all my/our
questions to UNOSAT but I've not got any response yet.

> _______
> As for UNOSAT data policy etc.: All maps online are free to use by the
> general public. As for raw imagery these follow normal copyright
> restrictions, but we try our best to ensure that at least the UN has
> access to the raw data. A lot of imagey is available through our Imagery
> Bank, and the copyright issue is well explained there (to which those
> wanting to download Imagery Bank data have to agree). Those are mostly
> Tsunami related Charter data that are indeed only for not-for-profit
> humanitarian applications related to tsunami work. We also have a
> substantial amount of offline imagery, which also follow normal
> copyright restrictions, but these are not available for download unless
> specifically agreed, of course.
>
> The person asking of data can be used for her/his commercial work, will
> need to be more specific of what kind of data is needed. Again, our
> online maps are available to the general public.
>
> UNOSAT is a 100% UN programme (UNITAR Operational Satellite Applications
> Programme). The administrative part of UNOSAT is located at Chatelaine,
> Geneva, while the operational part at CERN, Geneva. UNOSAT benefits from
> CERN's solid IT infrastructure, hence the sometimes confusion about CERN
> e-mail addresses and domain names. UNOSAT is NOT funded by CERN, but
> does however collaborate on certain projects, like the Grid project.
> UNOSAT is funded through projects undertaken on behalf of sister UN
> agencies, through strategic projects funded for example by the European
> Commission and European Space Agency and finally bilaterally by UN
> member states.
> _______

This clarification is very helpful.
However, I'm not able to answer if/how does it relates to objectives
of the OSGeo Public Geodata project.
I hope others (Markus?) will be able to explain it.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net