[Geodata] Do *you* have some data you'd like to serve?

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 14:55:17 EDT 2007

On 4/8/07, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at crschmidt.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 05:56:07PM +0200, Stefan F. Keller wrote:
> > And Geonames as WMS would also be nice (http://www.geonames.org/export/) if
> > the license allows it.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what the target here is: you want to see names
> of every place in the world on the map? Even ignoring my personal
> discomfort with the license (which appears to be non-commercial,
> something I can't guarentee in setting this service up), I'm not sure
> what a visualization of this data would best look like -- or even if
> we'd not be better off just setting up a vmap0 layer. (VMap0 is a good
> example of a data set we do need to set up, but since MC Labs already
> provides a decent + fast one, I'm not chomping at the bit to replicate
> that work.)

Please speak to Martin Spott first. He has polished VMAP0 for Flightgear/OSGeo
already and also made a Geonames WFS (I suggested a scheme to him to
split cities into different layers according to the number of inhabitants).
So, most of it is already done :-) Just needs to change the physical server
perhaps.

I am also +1 for Geonames (along with that scheme) to enrich maps
easily with city names.

Markus