[Geodata] ISO 19115:2003 North American Profile (Metadata)

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Thu Mar 8 12:44:19 EST 2007

dear bitner, all,
On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 10:08:26AM -0600, David William Bitner wrote:
> The North American Profile for Metadata is in review process right now (
> http://www.fgdc.gov/standards/projects/incits-l1-standards-projects/NAP-Metadata/NAP_Metadata
[time passes]

> Do we want to submit any comments as a group?

Having had the chance to spend some quality time with this document,
I'm at a loss as to how to constructively engage with this comment
process. The issues I find in it are really structural and are to do
with ISO19115:2003 per se and how much is mandatory in this subset.

The template and guidelines provided by FGDC allow for comments on
micro detail, typo and mismodelling kind of issues, cf
http://www.fgdc.gov/standards/projects/incits-l1-standards-projects/NAP-Metadata/NAP_Metadata

There's nowhere to put an essay! ;) I guess I'll write one anyway.

I didn't parse the fact that the RFC process for this ends so soon -
March 16th, just over a week from now. I'd like to float some initial
notes here and at the geodatacommons list, gauge the interest there.

I would be really interested to hear the GeoConnections perspective on
this - how this very heavy footprint and traditional metadata model
relates to the catalog work that has been supported through uDig and
OWSCat - how much of the prior art in Canadian state-collected
metadata publishing is reflected through this.

yours thoughtfully,

jo