[Geodata] geotorrents?

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Fri Mar 9 15:59:37 EST 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 02:03:12PM -0500, Chris Holmes wrote:
> >Also remember 'no data without metadata'. It's incumbent upon me to
> >provide you with a quick and clean way of annotating what is in your
> >package. I wonder what it contains already. ,)
> I have a 'geoserver data directory' that links to the TIGER/VMAP0/GNIS
> metadata.  Tiger in particular is not all that helpful, since it says
> nothing about particular layers.  So I include a bit more in the W*S
> 'abstract' section of each layer, about what it contains and what
> generalization we did, ect.

okay that sounds ideal, in the Capabilities looks like the best place
for all that stuff. Your contact details as packager would be in there
as well.

Hey, you know that ISO19115:2003 doesn't require that you provide any kind
of contact details from a data provider, but does mandate that you
specify their organisational role as one item from a code list?

> >http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/query?component=Geodata
> I can create a ticket, but I'm not sure what for?  Just to have someone
> make a place for me to upload this to?

i made one just to annotate this. perhaps putting 'oh yes must do
that' thoughts into trac would be a way to help mutual promisekeeping.
i like the "if it's not in the tracker, you shouldn't be working on it"
stance found in some software projects.

> That'd be great.  I'm happy to share the load on TOPP servers, I've got
> 2-3 boxes I can put it on.  And I may know a few others who might offer
> resources as long as we're sharing.  I just don't want to be hit with
> the whole load, and I hope that this way as it gets out there more peers
> will share the load as well.

Okay super, already a distributed data repository with a peer network.

> Oh yeah, I've also got 2004 .6 meter orthos for all of NYC.  About 5
> gigs of tiffs.  I can throw them up on a geotorrent as well.  And don't
> we also have the boston orthos?

There's a LOT of MassGIS data. They already run a geoserver 'cluster'?

> Next step for me after that is to set up a WMS and TileCache.

It would be great to do more to show off or propagate TileCache.

thx,

jo