[Geodata] Online conversion and validation services on OSGEO?

Stefan F. Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 06:02:07 EDT 2007

Frank, all,

i) What about an online conversion service which uses fwtools, especially
the raster/vector formats? I'm thinking on something like
http://media-convert.com perhaps hosted by OSGEO?

ii) What about a validation service for file formats and protocols? Say,
like *http://www.purl.org/NET/oai_explorer*<http://www.purl.org/NET/oai_explorer>but
also for WMS
1.3, WMS tile, WFS simple, and a sponsorship by OGC (:->)?

iii) And what about a metadata extraction service which pulls out "metadata"
out of data sets provided? See ogrinfo and
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/DCLite4G .

-- Stefan

P.S. Sorry if i missed something. I'm unsure especially about the
completeness and accessability of OGC online compliance testing (
http://www.opengeospatial.org/resource/testing) which covers only deprecated
WCS, WFS and WMS? But this would be anyway only part of a solution.