[Geodata] OpenAerialMap: To what extent does the Geodata committee want to participate?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Tue Nov 27 19:33:22 EST 2007

So, I've been working on this OpenAerialMap prototype thing. As of
earlier this evening, the domain openaerialmap.org is now pointing to
hypercube, a telascience hosted server which is designated for OSGeo
use.

This raises a couple questions:
 1. Is there anyone on the committee who is against this use for an
    OSGeo server? The goal of the project is to collect open aerial
    imagery from around the world and provide it as a service to the
    public, similar to Google's satellite layer (which is a mosaic of
    many things, including, in many cases, open state or county data).

 2. To what extent does the Geodata committee want to participate in the
    project? The current holders of the domain name openaerialmap.org
    are willing to donate the domain name to a foundation, and are
    looking to participate in the wider community. Does OSGeo wish to
    take on the hosting of this type of data?

My opinion to these is "Yes, and Yes". I think this could be a major win
for OSGeo, to be a founding participant in the OpenAerialMap project.
I think that the above two questions are largely a matter of degree: "Is
it okay if I continue to use OSGeo resources for this?" (Assuming, of
course, that John is happy to have me using telascience resources for
it.) And the latter is 'Does OSGeo want to help?'

Looking forward to hearing other opinions.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer