[Geodata] Themes and Direction from FOSS4G

Chris Ingrassia chris at fortiusone.com
Fri Oct 5 16:10:24 EDT 2007

	I suppose this is probably as good a time as any for me to chime in
on the list.  Those of you who were present at the session and/or BOF
at FOSS4G might me remember me as the guy who was evangelizing
GeoCommons a tad during both events.

	I would just like to reiterate our sincere interest in helping open
geodata efforts of any sort move forward and that we are very much
interested in not only putting forth GeoCommons as a potential
launchpad from which to move forward with our common goals in this
domain, but also better understanding what we can do to make
GeoCommons better and more fit to help achieve those goals.

	I also certainly do not wish to give the impression that we are
downplaying any of the great work done by GeoNetwork or any of the
other projects and initiatives in the community, and, in fact, we
would be intently interested in identifying ways that we can work
with such projects.

	It is not my wish to let this initial email start resembling a sales
pitch, so I will simply wrap up by throwing out a few of the relevant
links for review and comment and then shut my yap about GeoCommons:

	GeoCommons itself: http://www.geocommons.com
	The GeoCommons API Documentation Pages: http://docs.geocommons.com

now, I think the two most important things to start attempting to
solve are the issues of data licensing, and attempting, in whatever
way is possible, to put the metadata concerns to rest.  Those are
probably two of the most common things that I hear not only day to
day at FortiusOne, but which also seemed to be recurring themes at
FOSS4G.

	Perhaps a logical starting point for the ilcensing topic would
simply be to collect feedback/thoughts on what the specific
deficiencies of current license schemes are within the context of
data, and which use cases we should target first in that respect
(e.g. the completely open "do whatever you want and I don't care,
just don't try and sue me" or something akin to a data-specific
Creative Commons Attribution license).

	On the metadata front... I do certainly see the place for community
driven metadata "standards," as it were, but I think it may be more
important to simply establish how "close" the metadata needs to be to
the data itself in various scenarios (e.g. always displayed side-by-
side and explicitly embedded in any sort of data transmission
operation vs. a link to arbitrary amounts of metadata from a dataset
profile) to give different groups of people the level of comfort they
need, and perhaps coming up with some sort of quick, at-a-glance
"metadata rating system," as it were.  I guess you might think of it
as a Fujita scale for metadata, where 1 might mean the content of the
dataset is roughly described in an informal way, all the way to
whatever the metadata equivalent of "You could eat off of it" would
be.  Just my $0.02.

Thanks for your time, look forward to talking to and working with you
all in the future,

--
Chris Ingrassia
FortiusOne/GeoCommons