[Geodata] Landcover-DB Shapefile Download

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Tue Oct 9 07:26:07 EDT 2007

Hi Stefan,
> Pls. look perhaps also at this thread from Raj about a - yet to be
> defined - CSW profile
> http://lists.eogeo.org/pipermail/dclite4g/2007-October/000006.html .
interesting reading, thx

> Take also into consideration that CSW harvesting in GeoNetwork (GN) is
> not finished yet and a main programmer of GN wrote by end of
> september that OAI-PMH "outperforms CSW harvesting on all aspects.".
> The "state of metadata" is currently less than desirable because even
> OGC seems to be divided into several groups besides CSW, namely ebRIM.
I know personally Jeroen Ticheler, GN chief, and we've been talking
about this idea of doing a thin client over CSW for a while.
If OGC is divided on CSW, it's time to test CSW in a practical way and
show everybody how it can work fine and how it cannot.
We can do it fast and put the example and the code available to
everybody. Sounds cool to me.

> I'm concerned mainly about a common metadata model and then about the
> protocol (harvesting vs. online-query?). So let's just do what serves
> our needs.

my needs are: Standards.
I'm a consultant for UN FAO, I need Standards. I'm a consultant for
institutions (in Europe read INSPIRE) I need Standards. I'm rarely
consultant for companies, they seem not to need standards but they need ;-)

I don't want to say everybody has to use standards but if we want FOSS
GIS to quit the niche, we should provide wide support to standards. If
somebody here dreams to see a complete and scalable SDI made of FOSS,
he/she will have to deal to Open Standards.

If standards don't fit our needing we can change/enhance them. We are
part of the industry and there's an apposite list (osgeo-standards [1])
to discuss about it.

ciao
Lorenzo