[Geodata] CSW, OpenSearch-Geo, OAI-PMH

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at ec.gc.ca
Tue Oct 9 08:56:51 EDT 2007

> There is discussion started by Cameron Shorter on the
> Mass-Market-Geo OGC list (an open list) about the differences
> between CSW and OpenSearch-Geo.
>
> In general, the problem with these large standards is the
> unreadability of the standards documentation and lack of
> simple examples. My suggestion was to have someone write up a
> 1-page HTML doc presenting CSW with some examples - similar
> to the OpenSearch-Geo or GeoJSON spec pages.
>
> -
> http://www.opensearch.org/Specifications/OpenSearch/Extensions
> /Geo/1.0/Draft_1
> - http://wiki.geojson.org/GeoJSON_draft_version_5
>
> Perhaps Jeroen or Stefan Keller or someone that knows (and
> hopefully has implemented) CSW or OAI-PMH can help by writing
> such a short, useful page for each? :) These could then
> reference one another as potential developers/users
> investigate the various protocols and want to understand
> their uses/strengths/issues.

We implemented a catalogue solution using plain old OGC:WFS as the
interface with two FeatureTypes (service endpoints and service
resources), both of which (one-to-many) foreign key related underneath
in a RDBMS) are metadata models.  This has worked well for a few portal
type projects, and allows a (reasonably) reuasable interface by anyone
with a WFS client.

This approach was put forth as an interim solution until more CS-W tools
materialized.  There was much discussion about this on this list prior
to fos4g2006 as well as some info posted to
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Simple_Catalog_Interface.

..Tom