[Geodata] Geodata Committee Meeting next Thurs 18th, 1700 UTC?

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Thu Oct 11 21:00:28 EDT 2007

dear all,

It is time we of the Geodata Committee had a meeting.
I suggest next Thursday, 18th Aug. but *two hours later*
than the previously usual time: 1700 UTC / 1900 EU / 1300 East Coast

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Geodata_Committee_Fifteenth_Meeting
* New Geodata Committee chair / governance structure.
* Repository index - what is to be done?
* Updates on latest installations on the telascience systems
* '''Please add more'''

I asked Bitner after talking to him at the Code Sprint, if he would
volunteer to be the next Geodata Committee chair. He made positive
noises but also suggested a call for volunteers might flush out
interested parties.

Back when, the Committee started with three Working Groups one on
Licensing, one on Discovery, one on Packaging. All these groups
represent little mines of interest and skill on given topic N.
There is at this point active call for a Guide to Open Geodata
Licensing or moral equivalent, i want to put some time into that.

Get this! http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Committee_Chair_Guidelines
It is all rather more formal and oriented towards committees that may
have actual budget to expend, or legal opinion to affirm or deny.
We, we whistle away in our playground and i cannot remember when "we"
last passed a motion or anything of the kind.

This time must have come though as we drag out the list of members of
the committee written back in the stone age when people contributed a
lot more gabble to the OSGeo wiki:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Geodata_Committee#Current_Committee_members

    * Jo Walsh
    * Michael Barton
    * David Bitner
    * Markus Neteler
    * Allan Doyle
    * Pericles (Perry) Nacionales
    * Schuyler Erle
    * Arnulf Christl
    * Jeff McKenna
    * Dan Putler
    * Norman Vine

Though i think technically no-one will mind if we do not have a quorum
of everyone on this list but it would be nice to see you :)

I must apologise to those i missed by not attending the BOF at FOSS4G.
I lost track of time chatting to people, then couldn't catch sight of
anyone i recognised... thanks Bitner for providing a writeup....

cheers,

jo