[Geodata] Re: [Aust-NZ] NZ geodata on OSGEO?

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Mon Apr 28 04:21:47 EDT 2008

To summarise the situation regarding this:

I have an offer to supply NZTopo, cadastral including road_cl but without
survey marks & some StatsNZ boundaries.

Some other datasets such as EEZ, Territorial Sea, etc are probably available.
The LINZ geotiff orthos' are available.

I have an OSGEO related offer to host the vector data, provided the licences
meet with OSGEO approval. I'm not sure at this stage if this will include a
PostGIS/mapserver/OpenLayers based website to demo teh data & the applications,
but figure we can work through these questions once (if) we have an OSGEO
acceptance of the licences.

There are a few questions still before we can really progress this:

Are the LINZ & Stats NZ data licences acceptable to OSGEO? (who decides?)

LINZ licence is at:
http://www.linz.govt.nz/docs/topography/topographicdata/topodtabase/licence-agreement-1.pdf
(but note we will be getting the data from a re-supplier, rather than
purchasing it from LINZ directly, so any additional conditions may also need to
be considered)

Stats NZ licence is at: http://www.stats.govt.nz/copyright.htm

Hosting/web app issues as mentioned above.

What sort of data maintenance regime is appropriate: apply all updates as they
become available, or is this overkill for OSGEO purposes? Monthly, annually???

Can anyone host the ortho imagery as a WMS layer to be incorporated in the
final application?

Is a wiki page for discussion of this going to be more useful than a list
discussion?

Cheers,

  Brent