[Geodata] Tiger2008 Released this yesterday

John P. Linderman jpl at research.att.com
Thu Dec 11 13:41:39 EST 2008

The names of the directories containing county level files
have changed in a non-trivial way.  For example, what was,
in the 2007 release,

  22_LOUISIANA/22011_Beauregard

is now

  22_LOUISIANA/22011_Beauregard_Parish

and, similarly,

  34_NEW_JERSEY/34039_Union            is now
  34_NEW_JERSEY/34039_Union_County

Since I have some software that refers to county level files
using the county name, like NJUnion (which I find easier to
remember than 34039, although either are accepted), I didn't
want to have to add the _County or _Parish stuff to what
used to work, so I fiddled the software to try a bunch of
suffixes when the "unvarnished" county name didn't match.
Here's a list of suffixes that seemed (to me) to make sense
to be able to leave off.

Borough
Census Area
city